< Full site
Neighbor uses garden hose to extinguish fire
2/8/2013 6:00:00 AM
By Ahron Sherman
KINGMAN - Kingman and Golden Valley firefighters responded to a structure fire Wednesday in the 2300 block of South Highway 66, but when they got there neighbors had already extinguished the bulk of the blaze.
The Kingman Fire Department was first to arrive and, upon seeing that the heavy lifting had already been done, called off responders from Golden Valley, said KFD Battalion Chief Bill Johnston.
A neighbor saw smoke coming from a small singlewide trailer and called 911, and then he entered the residence with a garden hose and basically put out the fire, Johnston said.
Another neighbor turned off the building's electricity and removed two propane bottles from the trailer's lip, he added.
"Without their help, I'm assuming things would've been worse," Johnston said.
A malfunctioning refrigerator is thought to be the cause of fire, which burned through the trailer's exterior wall and caused a substantial amount of smoke damage.
The owner of the trailer arrived while firefighters were present and said his refrigerator wasn't working properly and that it was plugged in.
Firefighters searched for hotspots and made sure the fire wouldn't reignite.
The Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross provided the victim with food, clothing and shelter because the fire displaced him from his home.
Kingman Unified's woes mirror state's as teacher shortage worsens
Antique, thrift stores a key part of downtown's appeal
Transportation input wanted to spread word about transit options
Child porn images earn a 5-year sentence
Stolen backhoe recovered; one arrested
Immigrants here illegally can now get driver's licenses
Mohave County's unemployment rate ticks up
UPDATED: Ketchner death penalty overturned; new trial ordered
Kingman Daily Miner Home
< Full site
Copyright © 2014 The Kingman Daily Miner / www.kdminer.com
, All Rights Reserved