7/19/2013 6:01:00 AM Brothers donate land for church
Divine Savior congregants celebrate the donation of land to be used for a worship center.
KINGMAN - Brothers George and Michael Francuski have donated land at Jackson Street and Mission Boulevard to Divine Savior so the members can build their own worship center and be challenged to grow and prosper in Kingman.
Archbishop Michael Hillis received the deed June 30. Hillis and Bishop Eugene Young and Sr. Bridget celebrated a mass and attended the church picnic when the formal announcement of the donation was made by George Francuski.
Divine Savior Community is a parish of the Reconciliation Old Catholic Church. This is an American movement of Old Catholics independent of Rome since Vatican l in the mid 1800's.
Although "old" is in the name, they are progressive in liturgy and practice. Divine Savior began in January 2010 in the meeting room of the Kings Inn Hotel on Andy Devine. Its membership grew and a year ago this month the Trinity Episcopal Church in downtown invited the church to share its building. Divine Savior church moved its Sunday services to Saturdays at 3:30 so as to not interfere with the services of Trinity. Its web page, www.KingmanCatholic.org, states, "We are an open faith community welcoming all with no conditions other than mutual respect."
The Rev. Leonard Walker, founder and pastor of Divine Savior, expressed gratitude to the Francuskis for their generous land donation.
"This is a wonderful thing," he said. "This donation is the first of many miracles that may lead to a church building of our own.
"We're in the process of developing a building fund which is 'seeded' by a generous donation made Sunday. We know it will take a few years before we can break ground. In the meantime, we invite all to join us downtown for our Saturday mass."