Marine struck by lightning dies

A U.S.

Marine from Chloride who was struck in the head by lightning Aug.

1 in Japan has died, his mother stated in an e-mail.

Ron Hulse Jr.

died at 3:20 p.m.

Tuesday Japan time (a day ahead of Arizona) at Tokai University Hospital, his mother, Cynde, wrote in an e-mail to co-workers and friends.

Hulse, an office assistant in the Mohave County Assessor's Office, wrote her son died "with God on one side and an angel on the other.

My Marine will be buried in the Chloride cemetery.

Thank you for all your prayers and emails."

Efforts to reach Hulse and the public affairs officer for the Marines in Japan Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Cynde Hulse provided numerous e-mail updates on her son's condition.

She and her younger son, Roland, and ex-husband, Ron Hulse Jr., flew to Japan Sunday to be with Ron Jr.

Ron Hulse Jr.

was a 19-year-old lance corporal who enlisted in the Marines more than a year ago and was based at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Lightning struck him as he took part in an exercise at Camp Fuji.

Hulse had a heart attack, went into a coma and sustained brain damage, according to his mother.

Doctors administered antibiotics, but he was not responding.

News of Hulse's death came as a shock to family friend Michele Major, who works for the public defender's office and lives in Chloride.

Her daughter, Megan, attended Mt.

Tipton Elementary School and Kingman High School with Ron Jr.

Ron Jr.

graduated a year after Megan, in 2000.

"I always liked Ron real well," Major said.

"He was kind of my special buddy.

There were times we spent together."

Major recalled regular visits from Hulse six years ago while she recovered from foot surgery.

"He came by to visit me and we talked for a few hours, and he made soup," she said.

"He'd come over to sit and talk.

I wasn't his mom.

I was like a second mom."

Another family friend, Jackie Williams of Chloride, said she was "saddened, very saddened.

He is so young.

I'm hoping Cynde can get through it.

It's just not fair.

He prepared for this for a long time.

He wanted to be a Marine.

Now I guess he can be a Marine upstairs."

Funeral arrangements for Hulse are pending.