The Kingman Daily Miner Logo
Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
11:40 PM Wed, Jan. 16th

Weber pleads innocent to new charge

Cory Brett Weber, a Kingman man accused of attempted first-degree murder, pleaded innocent Monday in Mohave County Superior Court on another felony charge of criminal damage.

Weber, 26, who allegedly damaged a television set June 4 at the county jail while in custody, was arraigned for destruction of jail property.

For security reasons, Weber was arraigned by video conferencing from county jail.

Future hearings and even his upcoming trial for the attempted first-degree murder charge may also be done by video.

Weber recently returned to Mohave County from the Arizona State Hospital in Phoenix.

Because of his bizarre behavior during court proceedings, Superior Court Judge Richard Weiss sentenced Weber to a three-month stay, at Weber's attorney's, Marc Victor's, request to the state hospital for mental evaluations.

During Monday's video hearing, Weber's attorney for the criminal damage charge, Carlene Lacy of the public defender's office, entered the plea on behalf of her client.

On camera, Weber, who had to be physically held up by correctional guards, refused to speak and did not even open his eyes.

Weber's trial for the attempted first-degree murder charge is expected in October.

In previous hearings, Weber repeatedly interrupted Weiss, spouted obscenities at the judge and more than once was ordered from the courtroom in contempt.

On occasion, he has also refused to sit next to his attorney, choosing to sit in the jury box.

On several occasions, Weber has asked to defend himself, only to change his mind, before finally agreeing to allow Victor to represent him.

Weber is also charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder for a shooting incident in Kingman in June 2000.

He is also charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of endangerment, one count of misconduct involving a weapon and one count of a drive-by shooting, all felonies, according to court records.

On June 6, Weber allegedly fired a handgun at two men who were trying to evict him from his residence on Pacific Avenue at the request of the homeowner.

After a brief struggle, the two men then helped Weber push his car out of the driveway and onto the street, records show.

Weber then allegedly reached into the vehicle's glove compartment and pulled out the gun and fired between five and nine shots at the men, records show.

One man was shot twice and the other man was shot once.

Another stray bullet went into the window of a home on a neighboring street, barely missing another man who was working on a computer.

Both victims recovered from their wounds, records show.

Weber, who had been living in Kingman for more than one year, then fled the scene and was later arrested, records show.