Trial set for manslaughter suspect

A trial date has been set for a Kingman man charged with the traffic deaths of four local commuters in February.

Mohave County Superior Court Judge Richard Weiss on Wednesday set Nov.

5 as the start of Daniel Brackney's trial.

Brackney is charged with four counts of manslaughter, two counts of aggravated assault and misdemeanor extreme DUI.

Brackney's defense attorney, Bill Porter, said Wednesday he expects to file motions to suppress statements Brackney made to police because of his condition at the time of the accident, including shock and intoxication.

Porter said he also plans to file a motion of unlawful search and seizure because the minor extent of his client's injuries did not justify the taking of blood samples.

The collision between Brackney's pickup and a 15-passenger car pool van killed Eric Ruiz, Roy Latimer, John Walker and Dan Zasadni, who were riding to work at Mohave Generating Station in Laughlin.

The collision caused the van to flip into the median of state Highway 68 in Golden Valley.

Witnesses have told investigators the pickup was traveling in excess of 100 mph before the collision.

Brackney's blood alcohol level was tested at 0.20 two hours after the collision.

A test four hours after the collision revealed a blood alcohol level of 0.162.

In Arizona, it is illegal to drive a vehicle with a blood alcohol level of 0.08 and above.

Brackney, 22, is being held on $250,000 bond.

Brackney and a passenger were headed eastbound on Highway 68 from Laughlin to Kingman early Feb.

21, according to Arizona Department of Public Safety report.

Brackney stopped the truck briefly and pulled it back onto Highway 68 heading westbound when the collision occurred around 6:15 a.m.

near mile marker 16.

Ruiz, Latimer, Walker, all from Kingman, and Zasadni of Golden Valley, along with two other passengers, were riding to the plant.

The other passengers, Robert Mansfield and Russell Pewsey, both from Kingman, were taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

Mansfield was treated and released and Pewsey was released three days later.

Brackney's passenger was unhurt.

The passenger was arrested for misdemeanor warrants.