Photo special to the Miner

Michelle Peters enjoys some time with her 3-year-old granddaughter, Kaitlin Corl, during a trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C., in June 2003.

Peters, a hospice patient, died the following month.

Michelle Peters died at age 53 on July 12, 2003.

She suffered from multiple systems failures because of cancer of her colon that metastasized into the liver, said Kelly Bombino, her daughter.

Peters, who was admitted to the hospice program in April 2003, traveled to Myrtle Beach, S.C., with Bombino as a last wish.

The trip began June 2 that year and ended with their return to Kingman on July 1, 11 days before Peters' death.

"Myrtle Beach was where mom planned to retire, and I spent many summers there when I was a kid," Bombino said.

"She wanted to go back and see the ocean one last time."

KRMC Hospice contacted a hospice program in Myrtle Beach and explained Peters' case.

Medical files were transferred so that when Peters and her daughter arrived in South Carolina, Bombino called the local hospice office and a nurse immediately went to their hotel room.

It was not just nurses but the entire hospice staff that got involved during their visit, Bombino said.

A social worker and chaplain visited them, with the chaplain singing songs with them.

"They provided us with a wheelchair, medical equipment and medications while we were there, and when we got home, they sent us cards," Bombino said.

The trip gave Peters the chance to see her son and two grandchildren, along with many friends with whom she retired from Southern Bell Telephone.

She and Bombino visited an outdoor alligator attraction and Ripley's Aquarium, too.

"One thing Mom told Lelia was that she wanted to walk on the beach in the rain," Bombino said, referring to KRMC hospice nurse Lelia Perdue.

"We took a walk on the beach our first day there and it began to rain and then it poured."

Kim Miyauchi, assistant director of nursing services at KRMC and former hospice director, recalls how breast cancer patient Wanda Buckner also realized a dream through hospice in her final days.

Buckner's daughter, Riana, was to graduate with the Kingman High School Class of 2002.

Wanda Buckner was gravely ill at the time but wanted to see the graduation.

A hospice nurse and assistant were to go to the Buckner home about two hours before the ceremony to bath and dress Wanda Buckner and fix her hair, Miyauchi said.

The nurse was called away when another hospice patient died, and Miyauchi stepped in to help.

"When I walked into the house I didn't know if (Buckner) was going to make it," she said.

"She was curled up in bed with her eyes closed, and she obviously was in a lot of pain.

"We got her dressed, did her hair and put her in a wheelchair.

"Her eyes were closed the whole time, but she could respond weakly to us."

A local company transported her to the ceremony.

"She had not responded during the time we got her dressed," Miyauchi said.

"When the wheelchair was going down the driveway her eyes were still closed, but she smiled and said 'I'm going to graduation.' "

Buckner died May 28, 2002, less than a week after the graduation.

She had been in the hospice program 48 days, said Dee Visnic, hospice volunteer coordinator.


Ilan Govan, hospice medical director, said there is a lack of awareness among medical professionals and in the community about the program and what it has to offer.

"In theory, every dying patient can benefit from the program," he said.

"Medicare has a hospice benefit and every patient has the right to it.

They see people being much more at peace in the program, and studies show patients do better at home among their loved ones."

Brian Turney, chief executive officer at KRMC, said periodic fund-raisers are conducted to publicize the hospice program.

That effort is further aided by programs that include guest speakers on the service club circuit.

Physicians in the community seem aware of the program, but many community members may not know of its benefits, he said.

"It has been an ongoing process as far as educating the community about the service available," Turney said.

"It has been well received by the people using it and their families, which get support they may not have had in the past when going through the process of losing a loved on."

Kerry sees Kennedys, Bush meets Saudis

To the Editor:

In reading a Letter to the Editor in the May 21 edition of the Miner by Daniel Brownell, I too feel I cannot remain silent any longer; with space limitations, I would like to state just a few facts.

John Kerry is from wealth and entertains the Kennedys, as George W.

Bush is from wealth and entertains, to this day, Saudi royalty.


Kerry served in the Vietnam War while Bush served in the Texas Air National Guard, getting in easily even though there was a long waiting list.

He did not complete his commitment and has discharge papers that to this day have not been verified by anyone of authority.

Some other so-called patriotic compassionate conservatives who are questioning Mr.

Kerry's service record and medals are Vice President Dick Cheney, who got several deferments, and Attorney General John Ashcroft, who also got several deferments, one for being married.

And then there is Karen Hughes, Bush's speechwriter, and her criticism of Mr.

Kerry; she must have been in charge of the diaper brigade.

One other fact is Mr.

Kerry did not seek a deferment – he enlisted.

While Mr.

Kerry and the rest of this country wondered who was responsible for the attack on Sept.

11, your president met with Saudi Prince Bandar on Sept.

12 and 13.


Bush rounded up over 140 Saudis and flew them home with no questions asked.

Several of these people were members of the bin Laden family.

Another fact, it was the Bin Laden family that helped the Bush family get started in the oil business.

Since the terrorist attacks were from Saudi Arabia, it only makes sense to attack Iraq.

Adds new meaning to lies and fraud doesn't it?

Anthony Campana


Nice to see Kingman is finally up to date

To the Editor:

I want to compliment you on the recent changes to the paper.

New blood on the staff has produced some positive results!

Examples: Local editorials dealing with issues, i.e.

the ballot snafu, not personal items related to the writer.

Syndicated columnists add a variety of opinions to the "Opinion" page, obituaries in one area, including national figures, and a recap column of the week's stories.

I have probably missed some other innovations, but I am keeping my eyes open for what you have in store for the future.

It's nice to see things up to date in Kingman, not just in Kansas City.

Long overdue.

Rita Cownie


Thank you for helping during time of need

To the Editor:

I would like to thank the few people in Kingman who have taken the time to help me through this extreme time of distress: Carol Wilson who came to my home the day after it was vandalized and brought me food, helped to clean up the mess and offered moral support; Stan and Jeanette Curtis who helped with food and Jeanette who calls everyday to make sure I am OK and gives me positive reinforcement; Jerry Miller of J&B Home Center who made it possible to get new tires on my car; Action Automotive Center who donated their time to put the new tires on my car and paid the tow truck bill; Stockton Hill Motor for donating the tires; The Assembly of God Church who offered food, dog food and reassurance; Dr.

Perry from the VA clinic who gave me a donation; Rita Free who took me to town several times, enabling me to get some chores done; Jane from Marie Cleans for food, dog food and prayers; Marg who gave me a donation; Jim and the gang at Butler Barber Shop who brought food, dog food and a donation; Ann Stewart who donated food and socks; Leroy from Leroy's Ace Hardware who helped me to bury my dog; Ray Webster for food and a table.

Phyllis Neal