Boys' team splits against Tolleson<BR>and Ironwood<BR>


The Hualapai Mountains form a backdrop as Carl Stough stands on the west side of his house, surrounded by Juniper trees.

Stough said he argued with a 911 operator last fall when he tried to report a fire in the area northwest of Kingman.

That's what Carl Stough faced last October.

Stough, who lives in the 700 block of Cactus Wren Road, built a home two years ago on the northwestern fringe of the Hualapai Valley Fire District.

When he made two 911 calls last year, he was told by Kingman Police Department dispatchers that he wasn't in the Hualapai Valley Fire District.

"It was really a fiasco.

That's one of the reasons why I'm a member of the board," said Stough, a retired fire engineer and licensed contractor from California who was appointed to the Hualapai Valley Fire District board in October.

"It was serious to the point that these … operators told me I lived in the county and not in a fire district," he said.

"They argued with me."

Stough made a 911 call to report someone burning something in the area across the street from his home last October.

He later found out that area wasn't in the fire district but that his home was.

Stough says he put more than $500,000 into his home, which is located in Cedar Ridge Estates and surrounded by pine trees.

"Anything north of Jagerson (Avenue) wasn't in the computer," he said.

The Fountain Hills subdivision also wasn't in

the computer.

"It was really a mess," Stough said.

"I was just outraged."

Stough complained to Fire Chief Wayne Eder, who investigated and found out that the area's addresses were not in the city's police dispatch computers.

Eder quickly began remapping the district and made sure the city police computer files were updated within a week.

However, Stough said, a few days after he attended a board meeting to complain about the situation, his wife "went down with a 'grandma' seizure." Stough called 911 and was told he was not in the fire district.

A fire engine or paramedics were not dispatched.

Stough said a River Medical ambulance arrived 30 to 45 minutes later.

In the meantime, "I got on the phone with a neighbor (who is a registered nurse).

She came over and helped me out," he said.

"We found out the hard way," Eder said of the discrepancy.

He explained that when the area, known as District 8 to the fire department, was annexed into the Hualapai Valley Fire District in 1995, numerous addresses and streets that now exist did not exist then.

There are 200 to 250 addresses in District 8, which consists of five to six square miles.

"As addresses came into the district, no one was out there following up," Eder said.

Eder, who has served as fire chief for one year now, said the district will update addresses on an annual basis from now on.

Eder said three agencies share responsibility for making sure addresses are put into the city's dispatch computer: the fire district, the Mohave County Planning and Zoning Department and Kingman Police.

"Once the problem was realized, everyone tried to work diligently (to correct it)," he said.

"It serves as a reminder … that as the community continues to grow that the information is provided in a timely manner so we can get the services to the people," Kingman police Chief Bob DeVries said.

DeVries noted that 911 calls from outside the city initially go to the sheriff's office dispatch center.

Medical and fire-related calls are then rerouted to the city's police dispatch center, he said.

The Kingman High School boys' tennis team opened regional play over the weekend and went 1-1.

The Bulldogs are now 1-2 on the season but Coach Darrin Peppard is confident in his young team.

"We're 1-1 right now and we hung right in there with Ironwood, who will be close to the top at the end of the season," he said.

"We can compete to be at the top as well."

The Bulldogs fell to Glendale Ironwood 6-3 on Saturday, after picking up their first season win, 6-3 over Tolleson on Friday.

Ironwood swept all three doubles matches against Kingman to take a 3-0 lead.

The number two and three teams were on the cusp of victory but it slipped through their fingers.

Ian McGregor and Matt Colson led their match until it was 6-5.

However, Ironwood broke their serve to tie the match and went on to win 8-6.

"We were evenly matched with Ironwood, it just came down to our lack of experience," Peppard said.

In the singles' matches Adam McGerty, Russell Colson and Brandon DeLong picked up the Kingman wins.

McGerty won his match in the third set 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 while Colson and DeLong only needed two sets.

DeLong won 6-4, 7-6 (10-8) and Colson won 6-2, 6-3.

"It was such a close, close match," Peppard said.

"For awhile