Witness released from shelter

Candy Shapley leaves court Aug. 29 after refusing to testify.

Candy Shapley leaves court Aug. 29 after refusing to testify.

KINGMAN â€" A woman who was held in contempt of court for refusing to testify in the trial against Colorado City man Randolph Barlow was released on Tuesday after serving about two weeks of her 30-day monitored living sentence in a local shelter.

Candi Shapley, 20, the victim, is regarded by the state as the key witness to prove Barlow’s guilt on two counts of charges of sexual conduct with a minor. Shapley had testified to a grant jury on Barlow’s case last summer.

County Attorney Matt Smith and Shapley’s private attorney Mik Jordahl both confirmed on Thursday that Shapley had been released from the shelter and returned to her unidentified residence.

Smith said he had talked to Shapley during her monitored living in Kingman in the presence of her attorney, but had no idea whether Shapley would testify in court on Sept. 26, Barlow’s new trial date.

“I did get a chance to sit down and talk to her, and that’s all I can say. Your guess (as to whether she will testify) is as good as mine,” Smith said.

Shapley had previously agreed to testify at Barlow’s trial on Aug.29, but she suddenly changed her mind in court, catching Smith and her attorney by surprise.

“You never know what is going to happen. We’d better just sit back and watch,” Smith said, referring to Shapley’s appearance in the rescheduled trial.

Smith confirmed releasing Shapley earlier from her monitored living was his decision, because a longer containment would do nobody any good.

“Judging from the information I have gotten, it is just a waste of time to keep her there any longer,” Smith said.

Jordahl said on Thursday that his client has returned to her residence and made no deal or promise to either side in the case.

Jordahl said Shapley would probably give thought to the possibility of testifying at the next trial, but there is no sign so far she has changed her mind.

“She was clearly caught right in the middle, suffering pressure from both prosecutor and the wishes of many people from Colorado City. So it’s not an easy decision to make,” Jordahl said.