Girls of Grace Faith vs. Fear by Leah R. Eads; 978-1-60462-807-4; Tate Publishing & Enterprises, LLC.; 2008; Paperback; 160 pages; Fiction; $12.99.
Delightfully spiritual, this novel is seen through the eyes of 14-year-old Leah R Eads from Kingman. Her inspiring relationship with God becomes paramount to the story.
Leah displays talent beyond her years with "Girls of Grace Faith vs. Fear," which unfolds into a quest to do good deeds for others in this small community.
Leah says she wrote this book as a Christmas present to her friends in her Christian Girls Club. Her mother encouraged her to submit her book for publication and her friends agreed.
The main theme of this novel is the predicament facing the Crisis Community Pregnancy Center. The center is in desperate need of funds in order to remain open. All efforts at fundraising has not produced enough revenue. Then, as if by a miracle, an opportunity presents itself to the local Christian Girls Club to become a part of the solution.
Twists and turns ensue, and a competition between faith-based teams creates many obstacles for the girls to overcome. At times, they are discouraged, but through faith and prayer, liberally distributed throughout the book, they find their way.
Leah uniquely captures your senses and emotions while spinning a yarn of competitiveness which holds your attention. The only downside to the story is that it ends abruptly. The reader yearns for more, because Leah tells this tale very well. She displays excellent humor in her writing style and gets her point across.
While this book is aimed at 14- to 16-year-olds, we all can benefit from our young people, as they are truly talented, caring, and devout.
Our society seems to be instilling a sense of community and religion into our next generation.
I highly recommended this book.
Best Seller Lists
Week of Oct. 13
1. The Snowball; Alice Schroeder; Bantam; $35; 9780553805093.
2. The Last Lecture; Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow; Hyperion; $21.95; 9781401323257.
3. A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity; Bill O'Reilly; Broadway; $26; 9780767928823.
4. Dewey; Vicki Myron with Bret Witter; Grand Central; $19.99; 9780446407410.
5. Hot, Flat, and Crowded; Thomas Friedman; Farrar, Straus & Giroux Inc.; $27.95; 9780374166854.
1. The Lucky One; Nicholas Sparks; Grand Central; $24.99; 9780446579933.
2. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle; David Wroblewski; Ecco; $25.95; 9780061374227.
3. Heat Lightning; John Sandford; Putnam; $26.95; 9780399155277.
4. One Fifth Avenue; Candace Bushnell; Voice; $25.95; 9780401301613.
5. The Other Queen; Philippa Gregory; Touchstone; $25.95; 9781416549123.