Kingman man dies from fire

Smoke detector in home did not have a battery

KINGMAN - A 50-year-old man died as a result of the burns he received in a fire at his home on Rutherford Street Monday evening.

James Vance died at Kingman Regional Medical Center from 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns to 95 percent of his body before he could be airlifted to a burn center in Las Vegas.

He was pulled out of his apartment in the 500 block of Rutherford by officers with the Kingman Police Department after he was found laying by the door.

Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston said the fire was called in by a neighbor just before 5 p.m. Damage to the actual apartment was minimal, he said, and was confined to a kitchen/living room area in the small studio.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental, Johnston added.

The 800-square-foot apartment did not have a working smoke detector, although firefighters found a smoke detector with no battery in a closet.