Letter: We will miss Noel

Noel was our family pet. She got her name because as a puppy she came to our family at Christmas six years ago. She was a beautiful Shepherd and my little boy's best friend.

Most recently, she served as the surrogate mom for seven puppies rescued from certain death in the freezing cold of Northern Arizona.

She was a good and kind animal filled with love. She died recently at the hands of someone in our neighborhood who decided animal control is best served through placing antifreeze out, or through the careless handling of this poison, because animals cannot seem to resist it.

I am sure you are thinking, "You should have controlled your dog and kept her in your yard," and in response, all I can say is you are right.

She has always sat by the door waiting to take a walk with us, but for whatever reason, perhaps a passing rabbit, she ventured out on her own. We set out to find her but it was already too late. Her curiosity and some person's mindless act of cruelty or irresponsible handling of antifreeze would bring a horrible end to the life of our friend and companion.

I just want to say to the person responsible for this and especially to all those mindless people out there that believe it is okay to poison any animal and subject them to such pain and suffering, that whether intentional or accidental, you have inflicted great sadness and loss on our family and especially my little boy who struggles to understand why someone would do such a horrible or careless thing.

Charlie Fike,

Golden Valley