Stroke of luck douses trash fire

Firefighters one block away when call comes in

KINGMAN - Officials with Northern Arizona Consolidated Fire District #1 said they are investigating what sparked a fire in the 3000 block of Butler Avenue Tuesday night.

Fire Chief Pat Moore said officials responded to the blaze, which originated in a large pile of debris, around 10:40 p.m.

Moore said a fire engine just happened to be one street over investigating an illegal burn when the call came in.

That shaved around 3 to 4 minutes off of the response time, which he said quite possibly made the difference in saving both the residents' home and their neighbor's.

In debris fires such as these, Moore said it doesn't take long for flames to spread.

Moore said the debris, which was made up mostly of discarded household trash, was piled as high as the roof in areas and was spread out all over the backyard.

He said the home has previously been cited by the county's Environmental Health Division.

He added that firefighters frequently encounter similar debris problems in north Kingman and reminded residents of the importance of properly discarding trash.

Many residents forgo contracting for trash pickup to save money.

"The occupants here were very fortunate," he said.

No firefighters or residents were injured.