Photo: Smoke on Franklin

Courtesy

Courtesy

More than $30,000 of damage was caused by an electrical fire that started in the attic of a home in the 700 block of Franklin Drive around 6:45 p.m. Saturday. Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston said three family members, including a small baby, safely exited the residence prior to the fire department's arrival. A woman inside the home smelled smoke and alerted her husband, who investigated and found smoke wafting from the eves of the home. Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the attic area over the main entrance to the residence. Because the fire was in the attic the home's smoke alarms did not sound, Johnston said. The Kingman Fire Department recommends residential fire protection sprinkler systems especially where the elderly or small children live.