County Roundup: Tuesday, March 1, 2011

From the Mohave Daily News

The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality plans to close its Flagstaff office in May because of budget cuts. One person will be left in the Flagstaff area as the acting director for the northern section of the state.

Bullhead City and Laughlin are waiting for the final approval of a second bridge across the Colorado River. The Bullhead Parkway Bridge will connect the Mohave Crossroads area with an undeveloped section of Laughlin known as the Southlands. The Federal Highway Administration is currently working on an environmental review of the project. Approximately $35 million has been earmarked for the project, $18 million from a federal grant obtained by U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and another $17 million will be supplied by Clark County. The total cost of the bridge is expected to be $55 million.

A Bullhead City teenager has been arrested on charges two months after a racing accident that injured three people. Bullhead City Police arrested Raul Salazar, Jr., 18, on Marina Boulevard after pulling him over for a cracked windshield. He is charged with four counts of aggravated assault, criminal damage and misdemeanor racing on a highway. Two of the aggravated assault charges involve minors under the age of 15. Salazar was the driver of one of two cars found racing on Colorado Boulevard the evening of Dec. 15. Salazar allegedly lost control of his vehicle and crashed it into a fence. The other vehicle fled the scene. Salazar and a 14-year-old female passenger in his vehicle were transported to a Bullhead City hospital for treatment. A 16-year-old male passenger in the vehicle was flown to a Las Vegas hospital after receiving serious injuries in the crash.

The case of a Washington State man who crashed into the front of the Edgewater Hotel and Casino in Laughlin and killed two visitors last year is still under review by the Clark County District Attorney's Office. Authorities have three years to file criminal charges. However, a civil case filed against Walter Melvin McGie by the casino is scheduled to go to trial in November. The casino is alleging McGie was negligent on Feb. 3, 2010, when he drove through the front of the casino, over several slot machines and struck and killed two women. Helen Hindman, 81, of Lincoln, Neb., and Helen Walker, 74, of Mesa were killed while playing at the machines, and seven others were injured. McGie told police that he blacked out while driving east on Bruce Woodbury Drive. According to court records, the casino is seeking unspecified damages. McGie was arrested that day on two counts of reckless driving resulting in death. He was released on bond two days later. The office has to prosecute the case. McGie is a part-time resident of Laughlin. He returned to Washington state after the accident.

Mohave County prosecutors are seeking to revoke the probation of a former Bullhead City man. Todd Ross Shumway, 42, was charged with two counts of forgery in 2007 for forging an application to the Registrar of Contractors for a builder's license and attempting to forge a renewal of a builder's license. He pleaded guilty to the charges in May 2008 and was sentenced to three years of probation. The County Attorney's Office said that Shumway, who now lives in Alaska, did not fulfill the community service and several other requirements of his probation.

From the Mohave County Sheriff's Office

Mohave County Sheriff's deputies arrested Anthony David Beridon, 40, of Mohave Valley Feb. 18 afternoon for trafficking in stolen property, a felony. On Jan. 22, deputies responded to a theft report involving a business located in the 1500 block of Solano Place in Mohave Valley. The owner reported that one of his employees, identified as Beridon, had allegedly stolen 67 pounds of commercial water valves. The owner further reported that he learned that Beridon allegedly scrapped the fittings at a recycling center for cash in Bullhead City. The fittings were confiscated. At 3 p.m. on Feb. 18, deputies contacted Beridon at his work place. He allegedly admitted to taking two buckets full of fittings from the shop and selling them to a recycling center.