Halloween Coloring Contest
The Kingman Daily Miner Logo
Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
9:44 AM Mon, Oct. 22nd

Shock talk overblown, West says

Nobody was electrocuted at the carnival

KINGMAN - Rumors that someone was electrocuted and even died at last weekend's Mohave County Fair have been greatly exaggerated, officials said.

Jamie West, safety director for the fair, said a girl received some sort of electric shock while on the Zipper ride Friday night.

The Zipper is a long, oval shaped ride that rotates while riders in independently moving cages are pulled along the loop like on a Ferris wheel.

The girl was treated initially by Northern Arizona Consolidated Fire District paramedics who were stationed at the fair. The Kingman Fire Department also responded and transported the girl to the hospital.

Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston said the 13-year-old girl reported that she received an electrical shock after touching a bar while approaching the ride. She did not lose consciousness and had no outward sign of injury, but was transported to the hospital as a precaution.

Johnston said a 21-year-old woman in line for the same ride also complained of being shocked, but she refused treatment.

Officials with Brown's Amusements closed the Zipper for the rest of the night while they went over the ride "hairline to toenails," West said. The ride was reopened the next day after no malfunctions were found.

West added that the girl's family was compensated with ride coupons and other merchandise and enjoyed the rest of the fair.