Mobile Home Fire in Golden Valley

Golden Valley Fire Department/Courtesy

Golden Valley Fire Department/Courtesy

A mobile home in the 1400 block of Don Luis Road in Golden Valley Saturday was the scene of a second fire on the same street in a two-week period, although fire officials say the two fires are unrelated. Saturday's fire was reported around 4:30 p.m., and when firefighters arrived, they found two neighbors using a garden hose to bring the fire under control, according to Assistant Fire Chief Ted Martin. He said no one was home at the time the fire broke out. Fire Marshal Randy Osborn said he believes the fire was sparked by an overloaded appliance.

Two desert tortoises were killed in a garage fire two weeks prior one block down the street. The cause of that fire was determined to be an overheated motor of a freezer and was not related to heating equipment for the animals. Fire Chief Tom O'Donohue said the tortoises died of smoke inhalation.