Fires strike in Butler, Golden Valley

Photographer Dawnie Flagg-Curry was on her way home from work at about 1:30 a.m. when she spotted flames at a house fire on Devlin Avenue.

Photographer Dawnie Flagg-Curry was on her way home from work at about 1:30 a.m. when she spotted flames at a house fire on Devlin Avenue.

KINGMAN - Suspicious fires in the Butler area Wednesday night and early Thursday morning caused major damage to two homes and destroyed a pair of outbuildings.

A home in Golden Valley, meanwhile, was badly damaged by an electrical fire Wednesday night.

A blaze occurred in the 3000 block of Butler Avenue at about 9 p.m. Firefighters with the Northern Arizona Consolidated Fire District responded to the fire, which started in a shed and spread to an adjacent mobile home.

Northern Arizona Consolidated Fire Chief Patrick Moore said the fire destroyed the shed and major damage occurred to the back of the home, which was unoccupied and in the process of being condemned.

Three engines and a chief officer fought the blaze, which has been deemed suspicious and remains under investigation.

Northern Arizona Consolidated sent three engines and a chief officer to a second fire that was called in at about 1:25 a.m. Thursday at a home in the 2600 block of Devlin Avenue.

Fire broke out in a detached garage and spread to an adjacent mobile home.

The garage was destroyed and the front half of the home sustained major damage, said Moore. This fire also is classified as suspicious.

The residents were not home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported in either incident.

Moore doesn't believe the fires are connected. The home that burned in the earlier blaze on Butler Avenue, he said, has been vacant for a while and it isn't uncommon for transients to trespass.

"We had been to the first location many times prior for a multitude of calls," he said.

Moore asked anyone with information regarding the fires to call him at (928) 757-3151.

Golden Valley home relatively OK

GOLDEN VALLEY - An electrical fire badly damaged a home in Golden Valley early Wednesday evening, but Golden Valley firefighters were able to save most of the home despite being 15 minutes away.

A family who rents the property in the 6400 block of Agate Street called 911 when they saw their home burning as they approached from U.S. 93 and Colorado Road - in the northernmost area of the district. The closest station is located at Chino and Bacobi roads.

"Although there is a significant amount of smoke damage, the fire was contained to the west end of the home and attic, and the other structures close to the home were spared," said Assistant Chief Jack Yeager. The residents, he said, did not have renters insurance.

Yeager said crews remained on scene mopping up until about 10 p.m. The Golden Valley Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused due to an electrical issue.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.