As reported by Fox News reporter Jana Winter (July 20): At the Rincon Peninsula, Border Patrol agents came under fire from heavy caliber weaponry from the Mexican side of the river.
When the shooting stopped, 40 to 50 people came out on the U.S. side and turned themselves in. It would seem that the gunfire was used to suppress any effort to intervene with the crossing. This would be the first time Border Patrol agents have come under direct fire.
This comes as the Washington Post reports that the White House had reports warning of surges in migrant children as early as 2012. This report came from Customs and Border Protection, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
According to the Post's source, a former government official states, "Was the White House told there were huge flows of Central Americans coming? Of course they were told. A lot of times. Was there a general lack of interest and a focus on the immigration legislation? Yes."
Are the border control agents under increasing danger because of the federal government's disregard or incompetence on this important issue?
More like this story
- Border Patrol arrests drug smuggler using zip line to access U.S.
- Border Patrol renews smuggler prosecution policy with Mexico
- 2 drivers arrested after marijuana found on Mexican tour bus
- Border Patrol agents are uneasy about 'Made in Mexico' uniforms
- Arizona man held in violent migrant smuggling attempt