Fire ignites in Kingman home

Smoke detectors weren't active

Smoke seeps from the eaves of this home in the 800 block of Clare Avenue Monday morning. Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston said the damage was limited to roughly $5,000. (Courtesy)

Smoke seeps from the eaves of this home in the 800 block of Clare Avenue Monday morning. Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston said the damage was limited to roughly $5,000. (Courtesy)

KINGMAN - A Kingman mother awoke to find her home on fire Monday morning.

Three engine companies responded to the home in the 800 block of Clare Avenue in extreme southwestern Kingman at about 8:50 a.m.

The slow-burning fire was concealed behind a wall and was spreading into the attic, according to Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston. Firefighters covered everything in the living room before they opened the wall and ceiling and quickly put out the fire, which was caused by an electrical malfunction.

The woman and two dogs had exited the home prior to firefighters' arrival. Her two children were at school, said Johnston.

Johnston also noted the home's smoke detector was disconnected, making it fortunate she woke up.

"The (department) would like to remind the public about the importance of a working smoke detector," said Johnston.

The family was referred to the Red Cross.