Undocumented or illegal, it means the same

Hard as I have tried to keep politics out of my writing, sometimes you just have to say something. First, I would like to say that I do not consider myself to be a racist, no matter how far you stretch the word. I am probably even a bit more progressive than most my age. However, I can't seem to keep my mouth shut on this one.

I will start with the word "Undocumented."

My dictionary defines it as "Someone who lives or works in another country when they do not have the legal right to do so." Now you may prefer to use the word illegal instead, but the bottom line is, they did not get prior permission, nor did they attempt to do so. Unlike the many others who went through the proper channels and did what the law required them to do.

While the country watched this influx of undocumented persons, we took the high road and chose to ignore the fact that they were breaking the law. As I previously wrote, we instead provided them with everything they needed to make their lives more comfortable. Nearly fifty years ago while they began providing bilingual teachers, the federal government said that "all" school children should be allowed to learn in their own language.

This did not only apply to Spanish speaking children, but to ALL children. If the schools did not provide this, the Feds just threatened to hold back money! Interestingly enough, I do not recall any teachers being required for any other language.

During the years that these 15,000,000 or so undocumented people came over, the federal government AGAIN provided more perks.

Soon, all government buildings had a phone system that included a number to push for Spanish, as well as providing ALL the paper work to be English/Spanish. At no time do I recall that the Feds even suggested that any of these undocumented persons be "On the path to citizenship."

Recently we have been told that we should no longer refer to them as " Illegals", but instead, "undocumented immigrants." After all, we are told, " did not most of our ancestors come to this country as immigrants?"

Indeed I know mine did. Because I can see my grandparents names on the documents that were made allowing them to come!

So now, thanks to all the hand-holding by our government leaders, they are not only HERE TO STAY, but now they have RIGHTS as well. Easily seen by those who protest while carrying the MEXICAN flag! These must truly be the ones who are only interested in getting on the path to citizenship. Right!

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Trakker 1 month, 2 weeks ago

"Hard as I have tried to keep politics out of my writing", all I can say is unbelieveable!

TBD1000 1 month, 2 weeks ago

This is really a bunch of baloney! People have been coming across the border from Mexico since forever. Encouraged by capitalists in this country who could see their profit margins increased if the labor cost decreased. But do you really think more came because information was provided in Spanish? They didn't you know. They came because the ruling class in Mexico made sure they had little economic incentive to stay. In other words, they came to work (I thought that was a good value). Do you think they would take the arduous and dangerous journey and pay the criminal transporters for the privilege because the "perk" of getting information in Spanish. Really, I find it odd that you claim to keep politics out of your writing as misinformed as it is. The U.S. under all administrations, Republican and Democratic have been removing undocumented aliens since I was a kid growing up in S. California. Record numbers have been deported under President Obama, and as the economic conditions improve in Mexico, the number of illegal crossings are also at historic lows. This is probably why Mr. Trump has decided we really don't need wall.

What you pretend to be upset about is a semantic dispute between "undocumented" and "illegal". They really aren't the same you know; otherwise our court system would clogged to a standstill prosecuting all the illegals. As people, our constitution demands that they have rights. Maybe you could do a little research as let us know the different protections offered to citizens that aren't offered people who are not.

LVaron 1 month, 2 weeks ago

"A bunch of baloney?" I did not address the reasons for the crossings, only how things got out of hand over the last fifty years. I too grew up in Southern California. When I left twenty five years ago, it was because I could no longer get a job in my trade because I was not bi-lingual. Seems a bit over the top to me. I do not question the value of their work force, only that our government seemed to want things both ways. Thus providing NO incentive to learn our language, or become citizens.

Fatrat 1 month, 2 weeks ago

As you say in your in your tirade the Government has been removing undocumented aliens since you were a kid. Based on that statement it becomes obvious they have done a poor job. Perhaps you should be complaining to them instead about whining about what you believe is an issue in semantics.

kingmansucks 1 month, 2 weeks ago

President Trump has never said we rally don't need a wall. illegals need to obey our laws like we do.

roynlois 1 month, 1 week ago

Since illegals are breaking the law, then deadly force should be used to stop those carrying drugs into the USA. If Illegals cross the border, they are breaking the law and should be stopped by what ever means necessary, and those illegals already here should be jailed and then deported. What part of illegal do people not understand. Laws are made to be followed not just pick what laws you want to obey and then disobey the others. That is why we have laws. If you want a law changed, get enough people to contact your congressman and ask for a change. Rioting and destroying other peoples property is not how you get laws changed. Writing nasty letters to the newspaper, calling people who oppose your opinions names only shows your own stupidity and ignorance of the law.

RH 1 month, 1 week ago

Human beings have been migrating since we first set foot on earth, chasing game, avoiding bad weather, today they chase jobs, avoid famine, drought, political corruption, wars, some of the things might have changed but human beings are the same! Anyone who see's another human being as less than them, is a racist, does not matter if they are white, black, red, brown or yellow, every single race on this earth has a certain segment of those who fall into the racist category! The good thing is Jesus will sort them in the end each according to their own flock, Jesus sheep, the goats to a less spectacular destination, where they will whine, cry and face misery for all eternity, and have no one to blame but themselves!

Axel 1 month, 1 week ago

Meanwhile, America's citizen homeless twist in the wind for lack of assistance. Actually, they are at least as likely to twist in a steel cage, as will anyone in many jurisdictions today attempting to feed them. Recommendation - take care of American citizens before dishing out benefits to criminal invaders.