Golden Valley dispute leads to one dead

GOLDEN VALLEY – A man is dead and his girlfriend is cooperating with investigators after a fatal shooting Saturday.

According to Mohave County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Trish Carter, deputies and detectives responded to a home in the 3300 block of North Aztec Drive. They found Sanford Allen Hornstein, 55, dead from a gunshot wound to the torso. Hornstein and his girlfriend Melinda Louise Pedigo, 51, live at the home. She had called sheriff’s deputies after the shooting.

An investigation determined that Pedigo reportedly shot Hornstein during a fight. This case will be forwarded to the Mohave County Attorney’s Office for review to determine if any charges will be brought.

The gun was seized and autopsy results are pending while the investigation continues. There is no more information at this time.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Smith 3 weeks, 1 day ago

At best this is going to be manslaughter, shooting anyone who is unarmed no matter how angry, how much one wishes is not legal, but I guess since she is a woman, if she gets a dominant female jury she might play the abuse angle, demonize the dead, but sadly she ought to just have left if she was so angry and unhappy!

RR 3 weeks ago

Not with the jurors they pick around here. She will not be charged, just like the hit and run driver a few years ago who killed a pedestrian at Rt 66 and Castle Rock, and the old guy in Birdland, who shot and killed an unarmed trespasser in his yard. The attorney general stated "no jury would convict him".

Powderhorn 3 weeks ago

@ Smith --> I too, read the article but didn't see anything about whether he was armed or not. I didn't state who's house it was. It said that they both lived there. It stated that he was shot during a fight. It didn't specify whether the fight was verbal or physical. So, I would like to know... Based on your comments:

1: Why would you assume that he was unarmed? 2: Since the article didn't say who owned the house, why would you ask why she didn't leave? 3: Since we, the readers, weren't there to know the situation, there are several categories in the statutes to help determine penalties for someone who kills someone else. Why would you assume that it will be a Manslaughter charge? 4: Did/do you know either of them?

Susanwarren 3 weeks ago

Mr.Smith, you know not what you speak, i knew this man, he was a vile,angry, and violent man! This man beat her, threatened her, and verbal abuse. You say OH WHY DIDN'T SHE LEAVE? Well it's Her home, and from experience when your threatened ,beat bown it's not easy to leave. My friend did what SHE HAD TO save her life! Mr. Smith put yourself in her shoe's, even thou you must hate women to say what your saying!

Susanwarren 3 weeks ago

Mr.Smith, You sir do not know the real story, their both people i KNOW personally. The victim was NO ANGEL. He was mean, controlling, violent, man. He laid hand's on her, verbal, . Sanford had his demons. I was in abusive relationship for 13 yrs, not easy to leave because of the fear of them hurting your family. I gladly stand behind my friend, she

isn't a. Cold blooded killer She did what she had to do in order to protect herself.you sir must not like women, what would you say if it was your wife, or daughter? Walk in someone's shoes before judging someone.

TERESAB 1 week, 3 days ago

AND YOU SUSAN DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT EITHER. YOUR FIRST PARAGRAPH IS NOTHING BUT LIES. AND THE SHOOTER HERSELF SAID YOU WERE LYING. SANFORD WAS MY BEST FRIEND FOR OVER 10 YEARS. FUTURE REFERENCE DO NOT SPEAK ON SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT...

Powderhorn 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@ Susanwarren --> First of all, I was wondering if you also know "Mr. Smith"? Im asking because the name in the comments didn't reveal if that person was male or female. It read "Smith" so, it seemed kind of presumptuous of you to say "Mr. Smith". If you know them, then I see why you addressed them that way. Also, you seem to be very angry. I am an objective type of person... I believe that there is always more to a story than one side and, I personally, always like to know the whole story so I am able to come to an informed conclusion or decision. You said "their both people i KNOW personally". The article said "Pedigo reportedly shot Hornstein during a fight." That statement implies to me, that they were both guilty of fighting. It didn't say whether the "fight" was verbal, physical or otherwise. I only read the article but, it didn't say whether there were witnesses or not. That being said, and you said you know them, were you there to see what happened, or are you just giving your opinion based on your observations of them prior to that day?

Susanwarren 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Well I must say that yes I KNEW sanford, he used to be my neighbor, he was Not a nice man in General, he had his demons, drugs, and abusive. I just wish people let things take there course. I saw Mindy and she is grieving also. She is devastated, she is not a monster for defending herself. So I wish people would stop being Judge and Jury and think if it your wife, daughter,or any love one who was put in that position, would you want them to do the same? I'm not saying that it's "right" but "SOMETIMES NECESSARY".

JayFleming 2 weeks ago

It depends if she was in fear for her life. If a guy 6' 175 pound 20 year old gets in a fight with another guy his size it's hard to say he was in fear for his life unless there are other circumstances. If a 20 year old 6'5" guy is attacking a 60 year old woman who's 5' 120 pounds do you think she would fear for her life?

It's what's in the mind of the person being attacked. If the person truly fears for their life and can show what circumstances lead them to use deadly force, it should be a justifiable shooting.....

Deadly force is justified if you fear for your life or that of another in most places....

TERESAB 1 week, 3 days ago

THE MAN WAS ABOUT 5'7ish, MAYBE 168 POUNDS. THE FEMALE IS ABOUT 6'1ish AND WEIGHTING ABOUT 210 220. SHE HAS TAKEN HIM DOWN ON TWO PRIOR OCCASIONS, SO BOTTOM LINE SHE WAS NOT AFRAID OF HIM NOR WAS SHE IN FEAR FOR LIFE.