Kingman Academy of Learning middle school’s FIRST Lego League team3862 has been working diligently since August under direction of middle school science teacher, Mrs. Lucier.
The goal is to be ready for Arizona Regional Competition Dec. 3 at Flagstaff. FIRST is an acronym for “For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology.”
A FIRST Lego League competition team learns to apply science, technology, engineering, and math concepts (STEM), plus a big dose of imagination, to solve a problem.
They also must design, build and program a robot using LEGO MINDSTORMS®, then compete on a table-top playing field. Along their journey, they develop critical thinking and team-building skills, basic STEM applications, and even presentation skills, as they must show judges their solutions with a dash of creativity.
They also practice the program’s core values, which emphasize discovery, teamwork and good sportsmanship.
For more information on how your school could start a FIRST Lego League competition team, please contact Mrs. Lucier at Kingman Academy of Learning Middle School.
Special thanks to Martin Swanty Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for generously hosting The Kingman FIRST Lego League scrimmage.
More like this story
- Children explore robotics during week-long summer camp
- Kingman Photo | Leading with Legos
- Getting a Lego up on the competition in Kingman
- The Force and ETF, First Lego League teams from Kingman Academy, are engineering our future
- The Force is strong in robot design: Kingman Academy Middle School Lego League team wins trophy