Kingman woman displaced after fire engulfs living room

This house in the 1800 block of Miami Avenue went up in flames Saturday evening.

Courtesy

This house in the 1800 block of Miami Avenue went up in flames Saturday evening.

KINGMAN – A candle has been blamed for a starting fire that displaced a Kingman woman Saturday night.

Kingman Fire Department crews responded to a structure fire at 10:50 p.m. in the 1800 block of Miami Avenue. Firefighters were informed en route that the woman had exited the home and firefighters arrived to find the living room ablaze and fire venting out of the room’s windows.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Keith Eaton, crews began fighting the fire, which was quickly contained. An initial investigation pointed to an unattended candle on a coffee table that somehow ignited other materials.

Firefighters confirmed the woman was the home’s sole occupant and had no animals in the home. She complained of smoke inhalation and was treated and released at the scene by an American Medical Response team.

The woman said she was washing dishes in the kitchen when she heard popping noises and smelled smoke. She discovered the fire and tried unsuccessfully to extinguish it. She is now staying with family.

Fire loss figures are inconclusive at this time, but the home sustained heavy smoke and water damage.