Column: The cellphone ban one year later – thoughts?

The Miner is preparing to review the city’s year-old ban on cellphone use while driving.

We here in the newsroom agree that people continue to use cellphones when behind the wheel. We notice this when they weave from lane to lane as if they were drunk, or when they do the California stop before pulling in front of us, or when they force us to honk at them to get going when the light turns green.

We intend to speak to city officials and Kingman Police, but we also want to hear from you.

We’d like to have the following questions answered:

• Do you text and drive with the phone in your hand? If so, why?

• Do you talk on the phone while driving? If so, why?

• Do you watch movies on the phone while driving?

• Do you engage in social media while driving?

• Do you take photos while driving?

• Have you been stopped by police for doing any of these things … ahem ... allegedly doing any of these things?

• Have you seen other drivers doing any of these things?

• If so, how do you react?

• Should the city go to the expense of placing signs in logical locations warning motorists of the ban?

• Finally, do you think the law is a good one, or should it be repealed?

You can email your answers to me at dmcmurdo@kdminer.com. If you have confessions to make, but fear The Man will come down on you, very clearly let us know you don’t want your name used and we will honor your request.

In the meantime, buckle up and drive safe and sober.

•••

After living in a travel trailer for four years and eight months, my wife and I finally came to the conclusion our plan to downsize after the last child left home might have been a bit too extreme.

The first four years were pretty good. We got along well. We respected the fact there was precious little personal space and we respected each other.

But the last eight months were pretty rough. I started to think, “This must be what prison is like.”

We were no longer a married couple. We were cellmates. I’m pretty sure Sheila wanted to shank me a few times and I wanted to let her.

We started looking around for a home and found a cute little brick bungalow. It’s less than 900 square feet with two bedrooms, a small living room, a fairly big kitchen and laundry room – and in back is a workshop and covered parking. All things being equal, it is a mansion.

I didn’t realize how lazy living in a travel trailer could make a person. I walked from the kitchen to the bathroom, a distance of about 20 feet, and had to stop and rest halfway there.

And speaking of the bathroom, the sink, toilet and shower seem like they were made for an NFL lineman. I mean, they are huge. Ditto for the stove and the fridge in the kitchen. And the couch and the loveseat in the living room. I feel like I’m six. Such is perspective.

We have spent a small fortune buying basically a complete house. Two new queen beds. One for us, one for the guest room. We bought them off the showroom floor because we found the idea of sleeping on a stranger’s used mattress pretty disgusting.

Everything else we gladly bought used from people here in Kingman, and man did we get some good deals on quality furniture.

The best thing to come out of this move is that Sheila no longer wants to shank me, and I no longer want to let her.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

LVaron 1 week, 4 days ago

As a non driver, I can tell you that I am still risking my life every time I cross the street. The near misses are still those who I can SEE are holding a phone! I know that our police department has much more important issues to deal with, so I just live with it. Often times while I am in the crosswalk, people are turning/driving within inches of me. I am always on the look out for these drivers. I am fully aware that in a contest with the vehicle, I would likely loose. Even though I am not doing anything against the law. No easy answers here. On the other subject, I remember my own parents trying to downsize to keep the grown up children from returning home! They just ended up with people sleeping on their couch.

Wildrose 1 week, 4 days ago

Driving behind True Value a couple of years back, I stopped at the one stop sign, aware a vehicle was coming up behind me.

I looked both ways, then into my rear view mirror in time to see the young man staring into and using his hand held device on top of the steering wheel at the same time he plowed into the back of me.

With a dozen herniated discs, I had been told twice, rear ended and I would be paralyzed. I quickly turned the corner out of traffice, realized I could still move - just in time to see him speed thru the intersection and take off. While I could move, my back has been worse than ever since then.

I have listened to people on cell phones saying absolutely nothing of import. I have seen my own family text when a quick call would have done it but mostly, I have seen children completely ignored and left to fend for themselves while those addicted to their "devices" waste hours and hours daily on them. And one young lady, no longer in my family, used to come to dinner and talk to other people on her "device" the entire time we were eating. Later, she switched to texting at the table. But could she carry on a normal, face to face conversation? Well, not really.

Personally, I would rather get up and paint a wall than use a cell phone. At least, I have something to show for the time.

jcarbone702 1 week, 4 days ago

Are the police exempt? If not why do they act like it? I didn't know there was a law here, I heard about being in force in other towns in AZ, but I figured that if the cops are on the phone while driving, must be legal.

Fatrat 1 week, 4 days ago

I talk on the phone because my car, like most newer cars, has a "hands free" feature. I also use an ear piece if I drive my wife's car. It keeps me hands free. The device costs as little as $15 and keeps things safer for all involved. The first thing that happens when talking on a cell phone is loss of peripheral vision which is kind of important while driving. Many other things happen but that is probably one of the main detriments of driving with a phone in your ear. I could go on and on but there is not enough space. Point is people who do this are selfish and have little regard for their safety or others. Someone will respond to this with a bunch of whiny excuses that show just how selfish they are and how little regard they have for those around them. I wish there was a state law that requires using a "hands free" device while driving. But as usual our "leaders" have no idea what needs to be done.

Wildrose 1 week, 4 days ago

First, I got rid of my cell phone and often drive 800 miles at a time w/no phone at all. I figure if I wreck and die, they can throw my body out for the coyotes to eat. Since everyone else has cells phone, some other traveler will report to someone I'm dead or maimed and eventually, maybe, an ambulance will show up. Same thing if I break down. Without the phone, I have more money for car gas is how I look at it and I am much more aware of the beauty around me.

I have seen cell users in grocery stores run into displays (and other people - me) while texting.

Story two. OMG! You and your wife lived in a travel trailer over 4 years? Hard to believe; I spent three days in one deer hunting with a friend and was to the point, to hell with the deer, I was ready to kill him.

Smith 1 week, 4 days ago

Driving and texting is something I cannot fathom, one can use a ear phone, keep eyes on road, new vehicles now come with a programmable system for phone use on steering wheel, I told the salesman I did not want it set up to use, to tempting, I tend to ignore calls when driving, outside city or areas that allow phone use during driving, not out of fear of accident but common sense tells me who ever is calling will go to voice mail and I will call when I can! I doubt anyone who was a text addict, phone during driving addict pays any attention to laws, they just become less visible at it!

MarxingRightAlong 1 week, 3 days ago

All show and no go. Former City Councilman Larry Carver wasted the taxpayers time and dime passing this stupid unenforced "law"

KingmanCares 1 week, 3 days ago

Oh, it's enforced alright, although I can't say how consistent. Probably depends on time of day and how busy law enforcement is.

A friend from out of town was on the phone with me not long after he pulled onto Rt. 66 and got pulled over for being on the phone. I forgot to tell him about the law. He got a warning ticket; I presume because he was from out of town.

Gunguy45 1 week, 1 day ago

Talking on a cell while driving is as bad a "buzzed driving" in most cases. Hands free and earpieces help, but you are still not focused on the primary task of avoiding all the other idiots on the road.

As to the ban, I had forgotten about it since there are no signs or warnings. I don't own a cell anyway and if I did it would be the cheapest pre-paid burner phone I could find. I wouldn't waste my time on it having conversations when I'm trying to get somewhere.

ThaiMaiShu 6 days, 9 hours ago

The "law" should have been a Distracted Driving law and not aimed at cell phones.

Reading, putting on makeup, eating, brushing your teeth, petting the dog, and so many other distractions instead of just driving........