A Bagdad man was killed Thursday when the ATV he was riding struck large rocks on east Park Drive, east of Lindahl Road, overturned, and trapped him under the vehicle, according to Dwight D’Evelyn, spokesman for the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies were called to the scene at about 11 a.m., after several passersby saw the wreckage and called 911.
The ATV, a Yamaha Sandrail, was still running when the scene was discovered, D’Evelyn said.
Daniel Fern, 56, of Bagdad, was found under the ATV and pronounced dead by Bagdad Fire medics.
One witness told deputies that he had seen Fern on the road about an hour earlier, apparently sleeping in the vehicle. They had a brief conversation and confirmed Fern was alright.
There was no evidence of drug or alcohol use.
Fern was not wearing a helmet.
D’Evelyn said his body was turned over to the county medical examiner.
More like this story
- Bagdad man accused of assaulting off-duty sheriff’s deputy
- Prescott Valley woman faces 21 counts of cruelty; dead animals found on property, YCSO reports
- State Briefs | Man accused of striking man in head with bat during fight
- Yavapai deputy holds his fire when woman confronts him … with pellet gun
- Seligman hit with rash of burglaries