WASHINGTON (AP) — A spokesman says GOP Sen. Jeff Flake will not run for re-election in 2018.
Flake, who has criticized the path that the Republican Party has taken under President Donald Trump, also told The Arizona Republic in advance of a Tuesday announcement, that "there may not be a place for a Republican like me" in the current GOP.
Flake's poll numbers had fallen after tangling with Trump. He had a tea party primary challenger in Kelli Ward, whom Trump has praised.
More like this story
- ** UPDATED ** GOP Sen. Flake, vocal Trump critic, won't seek re-election
- Sen. Flake says GOP is ‘toast’ if it follows Trump, Moore
- In opening campaign salvo, Flake book says GOP has ‘lost its way’
- Sen. Flake dangles possibility of running against Trump
- Flake raises more than $4 million for expected tough 2018 campaign