TOKYO (AP) — A disaster official says at least nine people have been injured by an apparent volcanic eruption and avalanche near a ski resort in central Japan.
Gunma prefectural official Ken Kiryu said Tuesday that details were still unclear but the people may have been injured by flying rocks, broken glass or the avalanche.
The Japan Meteorological Agency says snow-covered Mount Kusatsu-Shirane appeared to erupt around 10 a.m.
Alert Level Raised as Mayon Volcano Explodes
The Philippines' most active volcano ejected a huge column of lava fragments, ash and smoke in a thunderous explosion Monday, sending thousands of villagers back to evacuation centers and prompting a warning that an eruption may be imminent. (Jan. 22)
More like this story
- Watch: Here's a look at the best and the worst Super Bowl ads
- Organic Matter: Writer has gotten small taste of disasters now hitting Japan<BR>
- STRANGE NEWS: A galloping moose video and sweaters for chickens
- Watch: Ohio officer accidentally hits partner with stun gun
- Watch: Phoenix high speed chase ends with crash