KINGMAN — A judge has set a trial date for a man charged with killing a Bullhead City girl four years ago.
Justin James Rector is set to be tried on first-degree murder, kidnapping, child abuse and abandonment of a body in late April.
A Mohave County judge set the trial date Friday over the objection of Rector's attorney.
Authorities say 8-year-old Isabella Grogan-Cannella had been strangled in September 2014. Her partially clothed body was found in a shallow grave near her home.
The prosecutor had urged the judge to schedule the trial to ensure the rights of the victims. He accused the defense attorney of being uncooperative in setting up interviews.
Rector's attorney denied the allegation.
More like this story
- Rector death penalty trial postponed again until after June 2 status hearing
- New attorney on board, judge tries to move Rector trial forward
- Rector's status conference pushed to July 28
- Rector agrees to plead guilty to first-degree murder of Bullhead City girl
- Judge to set Rector trial date at next hearing