Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
Tue, Dec. 10

Ellison trial may be pushed back again

Charles Ellison, the Lake Havasu City man accused in the murder of an elderly Kingman couple in 1999, returned to court Tuesday with his attorney asking for a continuance of a trial scheduled to being in September.

Slated to start Sept.

6, Ellison's long-delayed trial will likely be postponed.

Vincent Iannone, Ellison's attorney, said he has set up a date at the end of August for a psychologist to evaluate his client.

He said he would also be filing a written motion to continue the trial.

"I might explore mental health as a defense," Iannone said.

Superior Court Judge Robert Moon said the mental evaluation would probably be more valuable for the sentencing stage of the case rather than for the trial itself and gave Iannone a deadline of Aug.

10 to file any written motions for a continuance.

Moon did not change the trial date but set another hearing Aug.

17 to hear oral arguments with hopes to set a firm trial date if it is continued.

"I haven't seen a written motion for a continuance," Deputy County Attorney Matt Smith said.

"It's pretty late in the game to go with a mental health defense.

I haven't seen anything as to why they would want to go with mental health as a defense."

Smith also hinted he might have his own mental health expert, which could further delay the trial.

Ellison's codefendant, Richard Finch, also from Lake Havasu City, has already been tried, convicted and sentenced to a life term in prison for the murders.

Ellison, 34, is charged with first-degree murder and first-degree burglary in the murders of Lillian Boucher, 73, and her husband Joseph Boucher, 79, after allegedly burglarizing their Kingman home Feb.

24, 1999.

In September, a jury found Finch guilty of first degree murder for his part in the Bouchers' deaths.

In an emotional hearing Moon sentenced Finch, 27, to life in prison.

Boucher's relatives had wanted the death penalty.

Finch and Ellison reportedly met in a bar in Lake Havasu City the day of the murders.

Ellison then allegedly asked Finch to back him up for an out-of-town job.

Finch agreed and accompanied him to Kingman where they stopped at another bar, then proceeded to a Kingman neighborhood, records show.

They allegedly entered Boucher's home, tied up the couple, and stole some jewelry, a gun and some cash before allegedly suffocating the couple to death.

The bodies were discovered two days later, records show.

Finch was arrested two days after the murder, while Ellison was arrested several days after that.

Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event

This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads

For as little as $3.49*