Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
Tue, July 23

Boy, 13, held in shooting


Nancy Ivers has crossed a few bridges in her life.

She moved from an island off the coast of Maine to Kingman two years ago and has learned to live with multiple sclerosis since 1985.

"In 1990, I built an apartment onto my mother's home and we were joint tenants," Ivers said.

"We paid $1,200 per year in taxes.

"By 2002, our tax bill was $6,400 per year and that was undergoing re-evaluation.

An appraiser said the property tax would be going up to between $8,000 and $10,000."

Ivers was born in St.


Her family moved to Peaks Island after her stepfather took a job with a trucking company in Portland.

She was 7 at the time.

Her stepfather and mother first rented an apartment and later a house on the island.

In 1956, the family bought a three-story house with five bedrooms for $1,200, Ivers said.

It was just nine feet from the back of the house to a drop-off, and there was an embankment with stairs leading to a beach on Casco Bay.

Peaks Island had 900 to 1,200 winter residents and 7,000 to 9,000 summertime residents.

A passenger ferry began at 6:15 a.m.

and made hourly trips into Portland, which was 3.5 miles away.

The ferry operated until 10 p.m.

in the winter and until 11:30 p.m.

during summer months

There also was a car ferry that made hourly trips with 10 to 12 vehicles during the summer.

"The ferry could carry up to 320 passengers," Ivers said.

"The one-way fare was 25 cents in 1957, but had risen to $2.65 by the time I moved to Kingman in 2002."

Ivers said she owned a beauty shop for three years on Peaks Island and worked in a grocery store there for five years.

In 1978, she got a job dispatching for the Portland Police Department right after her two children began attending Portland High School.


Philip Laughlin, her son, graduated in 1980 and Gail Laughlin, her daughter, graduated in 1982.

The dispatching job afforded a set income and insurance.

"The first call I got after finishing my training was from a man in a phone booth," Ivers said.

"He said he'd gone into a dry-cleaning establishment and killed his wife with a knife.

I had to keep him talking until officers arrived."

Another call involved a young man who

See MAINER, Page 2

said he'd killed his brother aboard a fishing boat.

It turned out to be a case of self-defense.

"I also got a call from a girl who'd found her baby dead in a crib," Ivers said.

"She was very calm and perhaps in a trance I thought at the time."

Investigators determined the woman had been shopping and returned home to find the baby dead, killed by her boyfriend.

Ivers had to testify before a grand jury.

The man ultimately got a 30-year prison sentence but died of AIDS after five years.

The woman was convicted of being an accessory to murder and received a 25-year prison term, Ivers said.

In 1985, Ivers caught her sleeve on a doorknob and suffered a mild back injury.

A pain consultant put her back into alignment six weeks later, but she awoke one morning with numbness in her legs.

A visit with a Portland neurologist included tests that led to a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

In 1987, it progressed to a point where Ivers could no longer work and had to retire from the Portland P.D.

In 1988, Ivers moved to the warmer climate of Raton, N.M., where her father and stepmother lived.

"My stepmother was an artist," Ivers said.

"She'd written articles for the Portland Press Herald for about 15 years and later wrote numerous children's books."

Ivers returned to Peaks Island in 1990 and built the apartment onto the home of her mother and became a joint tenant.

Her mother eventually had to go into a Portland nursing home, where she died Sept.

20, 2002.

In February 2002, Ivers put a down payment on a house in Kingman.

Barbara Davis, a childhood friend, lived in Kingman.

"Barbara was diagnosed with bone cancer three weeks after I made the down payment," Ivers said.

"I came out here with a friend, Estelle Begin, who now lives in Golden Valley.

But Barbara died Sept.

23, 2002."

Ivers is a member of the Drifters Car Club.

She owns a yellow 1985 Chevrolet El Camino that she takes to car shows, club meetings and on cruises with members.

She enjoys gardening, reading and the companionship of her three dogs and five cats.

"What I miss most about island life is getting fresh seafood right off the fishing boats," she said.

"What I don't miss is the snow, ice and being a prisoner in my home during the winter.

I just saw on the news that they've got nine inches of snow."

Neighbors is a feature that appears Monday in the Kingman Daily Miner.

If you have an interesting story you'd like to share, contact Terry Organ at 753-6397, Ext.

225.Head to Head

Column by Mark Borgard, Editor & Sean McMahon, Miner News Editor

Sean McMahon

Shoot, guys, they might as well.

Most people drive that fast in the areas that really matter.

Heck, Mark, you moved here from Wyoming, too, and I was there when they raised the speed limits.

The reason they did that was because more fatalities were caused by drivers falling asleep while driving the long, straight expanses of prairie than were ever caused by just plain excessive speed.

The same is true in Arizona, especially during the summer.

The drive between Gallup, N.M.

and Needles, Calif., isn't one of the most exciting stretches of interstate in this nation, and the same could easily be said of the long stretches of interstate between Lordsburg, N.M.

and Blythe, Calif., on Interstate 10 or between Casa Grande and Yuma on Interstate 8.

These are deadly boring stretches of highway and whatever can be done to speed up the trip – as was shown in Wyoming – the safer the highways will be.

No, I wouldn't raise the interstate speeds to 80 in the Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan area, but they aren't 75 now.

They range between 55 and 65 as the population becomes more dense, and that is as they should be.

But highways like most of the rural interstates and even Highway 93 north of Kingman toward Hoover Dam were studied a few years back and determined to be physically fit to handle 75 mile-per-hour traffic.

Most people travel at least 80, many often at higher rates of speed, yet law enforcement doesn't seem to do much about it now.

One of the reasons they don't do much about it now is that there are very few accidents on that road that have been attributed to speeding.

I say determine where it is safe to do so and raise the speed limit to 80.

Keep the heavily populated areas where they are and let's get on to where we need to go.

Sean M.

McMahon is the Miner's news editor.

Mark Borgard

Why stop at 80, Sean? Heck, let's move it up to 100.

Let's make it like portions of the autobahn in Germany and take away speed limits altogether.

That kind of logic, that because everyone is breaking the law the law needs to be changed, is crazy.

A lot of drivers speed through red lights and cut off other vehicles when making turns.

Should we just change those laws to allow the infractions then hope nobody gets injured or killed?

I'm sorry that you're bored when you drive.

Raising the speed limit to 80 isn't going to make your trip more exciting, unless crashing into a semi truck on a steep hill is your idea of a good time.

Raising the speed limit is a bad idea for the same reason that you believe it's beneficial.

Many drivers do indeed exceed the posted limits.

On highways, they set their cruise controls at 82-85.

Raise the speed limit by 5 mph, and they will raise their speed by 5 mph.

Then we have drivers cruising at 90.

Isn't that more dangerous?

Drivers are finding more and more things to do with themselves when behind the wheel.

As technology expands, so do the options available to us in our vehicles.

We have cell phones, on-board computers, televisions, ear-splittingly-loud stereos – you name it, there is a car that has it.

As a society, we should be discussing ways we can make driving more safe instead of considering a law that would further hinder our efforts to stay in complete control of our motor vehicles.

A great many drivers refuse to drive 75.

They will do 65 whether the law changes or not.

And let's not forget about the big trucks and RVs.

It's hard enough now to get around these slowpokes.

Raising the speed limit will make a difficult task even harder.

It's true, you will probably get to where you're going a little faster.

But you might not get there at all.A 14-year-old Kingman youth is at University Medical Center in Las Vegas after a shooting in which a friend faces felony assault and weapons charges.

Stephen Durbin was taken to Kingman Regional Medical Center Saturday afternoon in critical condition.

He later was airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

The bullet did not appear to strike a vital organ, and Durbin was reported to be in stable condition late Saturday night, Kingman police Lt.

Dean Brice said.

A 13-year-old boy who apparently fired the gun was taken to Mohave County Juvenile Detention Center on felony charges of aggravated assault and misconduct involving weapons.

Durbin was shot around noon outside a residence in the 2000 block of Detroit Avenue.

Durbin and several other youths were visiting the residence, where a friend lives.

Investigators say marijuana may have been smoked while no adults were present, Brice said.

"At some point, (Durbin) left the group to go across the street and check on his bicycle, and when he returned he found he'd been locked out of the house," Brice said.

"He went around to a bedroom window, trying to get in, and looked in."

Brice said Durbin saw someone with a handgun, "ducked away, looked back in a second time and was shot."

He was shot in the upper right chest with a .38-caliber special round fired from a Dan Wesson .357 revolver.

Brice said the gun is owned by the father of the youth who lives at the residence.

Durbin managed to walk across the street to Firefighter's Memorial Park and get picnickers there to call for help.

Kingman firefighters and police responded to the scene about 12:15 p.m.

Brice said a youth handling the gun had placed one round of live ammunition in a chamber, spun the cylinder and pulled the trigger twice, with the weapon firing on the second pull.

Detectives obtained a search warrant following the arrest and obtained evidence related to the investigation, which is continuing, Brice said.


This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads

For as little as $3.49*