Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
Sun, Dec. 08

KRMC Foundation receives $12K in grants

KINGMAN - The Kingman Regional Medical Center Foundation received $12,698 in grant funds from the Phoenix Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

The grant will go to the Foundation's Catch it Early Breast Health Program.

This is the second year the foundation has received grant funding from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

"That is how we were able to start our Catch It Early Program," said Jamie Taylor, KRMC public relations director.

The program provides digital mammogram screenings to uninsured and/or underinsured women in Kingman area.

"Our goal is to help reach those women who otherwise would not have a mammogram," Taylor said.

The significance mammograms increase when women hit age 40. After which, they should have a mammogram every year for early detection of cancer, Taylor said.

"If it is caught early, women have a huge chance of recovery," she added.

The funding is a part of more than $2.1 million in grants given to 33 nonprofit organizations in central and northern Arizona. This is the largest amount ever given by the Phoenix Affiliate for innovative, non-duplicative breast health and breast cancer services directly to the medically underserved, uninsured or underinsured.

"The community grants program allows the Komen Phoenix Affiliate to carry out its mission of saving lives and ending breast cancer forever throughout medically underserved communities," said Sarah Padilla with Be Heard Public Relations.

Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Phoenix Affiliate's annual Race for the Cure and other programs stay within the service area of central and northern Arizona. The remaining 25 percent funds the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast cancer research program.

"Our grants program is the absolute juncture of where the rubber meets the road," says Candyce Lindsay, Grants Director of the Komen Phoenix Affiliate. "The funds that are raised by the Race for the Cure by this community are going directly to the community where the need has been defined."

The annual Komen Phoenix Race for the Cure is held each October. The 2008 fundraiser drew 31,500 participants and raised a record $2 million.

The 17th annual race will be held on Oct. 11 in the State Capitol District in Phoenix. For more information, visit

In addition to the $2,133,226 in local grants, the Komen Phoenix Affiliate also granted $550,000 to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Research Grants Program. Of these funds, $550,000 was awarded to research programs, $150,235 to education programs, $748,660 to screening programs and $1,234,331 to treatment programs. Since its inception in 1993, the Komen Phoenix Affiliate has granted more than $16 million - making it the largest private grantor of breast cancer funds in Arizona.

Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event

This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads

For as little as $3.49*