Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
Mon, Nov. 18

Kingman Fire Department rescues woman at Gold Street fire

KINGMAN - Kingman firefighters rescued a 20-year-old woman fading out of consciousness in a bedroom as the rest of her apartment burned around her Monday afternoon.

Kingman Fire Battalion Chief Bill Johnston said the fire started after a stove was left on in the kitchen on the top floor of a split-level duplex in the 500 block of Gold Street. Johnston said that by the time firefighters arrived, smoke was pouring out of the home's eaves, but without smoke detectors in the home, a man downstairs was completely unaware of the fire above him.

The man is reportedly the owner of the residence and rents the top floor to the woman. She was discovered by firefighters on a bed in a rear bedroom with the door closed. She was carried out and given emergency care before being transported to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Two small dogs were also rescued and one was treated for smoke inhalation. The man on the bottom floor was not injured.

Johnston said the fire was caused by unattended materials on the stove. Damage estimates were unavailable.

The Kingman Fire Department recommends residential smoke detectors and fire protection sprinkler systems, especially in residences where the elderly or small children live.

Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event

This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads

For as little as $3.49*