Thanksgiving Coloring Contest
The Kingman Daily Miner Logo
Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
5:05 PM Sat, Nov. 17th

Two men burned servicing an RV

Two people who were pouring gasoline into the carburetor of a recreational vehicle were burned earlier this week when the engine backfired, causing a flash fire.

Monday's early evening incident was the second RV fire caused by home mechanics pouring gas into the carburetor since the beginning of the summer, said Kingman Assistant Fire Chief Keith Eaton.

In this case, two individuals working on the RV in the 500 block of Third Street were trying to kick start an engine that hadn't been started in years.

The men were positioned over the engine, which was located under the floorboard of the older-model RV.

Eaton said the men were pouring the gas in when the fire sparked, causing the gasoline to splash back onto the pants of one of the men. That man was transported to Kingman Regional Medical Center with second-degree burns to his legs.

The second man received minor burns on his hands and refused medical treatment.

Eaton said a bystander used a garden hose to put out the fire by the time firefighters arrived just after 5:30 p.m. They were on scene for the next two hours clearing the smoke and making sure the fire was completely out.