Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
Fri, April 26

No-bail warrant issued in local murder case
Beating was disguised to look like a car accident

Todd Tracy

Todd Tracy

KINGMAN - A father whose son beat a man to death and then allegedly tried to make it look like a fatal hit and run failed to appear for an important court hearing Monday.

Judge Steven Conn issued a no-bail arrest warrant for Todd Sterling Tracy, 52, whose trial on a number of charges was scheduled to begin March 24.

Tracy's son, Jade Sterling Tracy, 23, pleaded guilty last October to second-degree murder for beating to death Michael Clayton Clark, 50, who was found crumpled in the middle of the 1600 block of Highland Road in Bullhead City sometime after 10:30 p.m. Sept. 29, 2012.

Clark reportedly insulted the elder Tracy's girlfriend, Tiffany Ellis, 45, and was beaten so badly for his transgression that he was unable to stand or walk. Jade Tracy's friend, Eric Harley Durand, 20, reportedly assisted in the attack.

Clark was placed in the back of his own pickup truck and driven to Highland Road, where the truck was driven in reverse at a high rate of speed before the driver hit the brakes, spilling Clark out of the truck.

He was airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he died from his injuries the next day.

Police believed that Clark was indeed struck by a car not far from his home, but a tipster told them there was evidence of the fatal beating at a home in the 1200 block of Agate Avenue.

Todd Tracy was initially charged with hindering prosecution for reportedly telling a younger son, Cole Joseph Tracy, 20, to clean up Clark's blood and to destroy any other evidence.

It was believed Jade Tracy drove Clark's truck and dumped him on the road, but Todd Tracy later became the main suspect in that aspect of the crime.

Clark's truck was found less than a week later at a home on Mormon Flat Road in Golden Valley. Jade Tracy was captured in Kingman at about the same time at the home of a family friend on Jagerson Avenue.

Jade Tracy was sentenced to 20 years in prison. Cole Tracy pleaded guilty to first-degree hindering prosecution and was placed on probation. He got rid of a bloody mattress and some of Clark's personal belongings.

Durand pleaded guilty to aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury and was placed on probation.

Ellis pleaded guilty to attempted hindering prosecution and was placed on probation. She is a witness in the case for the prosecution, which has been unable to locate her.

Authorities believe she is with Todd Tracy, who faces two counts of aggravated assault and three counts of hindering prosecution.

If convicted, he could face up to 15 years in prison on the more serious of the two aggravated assault charges and up to eight and three-quarter years for first-degree hindering prosecution.


This Week's Circulars

To view money-saving ads

For as little as $3.49*