Thanksgiving Coloring Contest
The Kingman Daily Miner Logo
Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
4:25 PM Sat, Nov. 17th

Contractors' overseer to close office in Kingman

HUBBLE RAY SMITH/Miner<BR>
A sign on the door of the Arizona Registrar of Contractors office at 715 Main St. in Kingman notes it will be closing at the end of June. Four registrar offices are going to be closed, cutting three jobs.

HUBBLE RAY SMITH/Miner<BR> A sign on the door of the Arizona Registrar of Contractors office at 715 Main St. in Kingman notes it will be closing at the end of June. Four registrar offices are going to be closed, cutting three jobs.

KINGMAN - The Arizona Registrar of Contractors will be closing offices in Kingman and three other locations by the end of June, a spokesman for the agency said last week.

With increased processing efficiencies and technology capabilities, it is no longer necessary for the registrar to maintain "brick and mortar" presence in several outlying areas, AROC spokesman Jim Knupp said.

The Registrar of Contractors office in Kingman is at 715 Main St., Suite C. A telephone recording on Friday stated the office is closed until Monday.

Offices will be closed in Kingman, Show Low, Yuma and Prescott, eliminating three customer service positions. Restructuring of the Flagstaff and Tucson offices will result in the loss of two more positions.

That's going to make it tough for Suzanne Reed and her 94-year-old mother, who moved to Kingman from Southern California last year and bought a new home in the Legacy subdivision.

Reed had problems with paint spills, a cracked kitchen counter, divots in the bathroom walls, torn drywall around light fixtures and other issues. She filed a complaint with the Registrar of Contractors and was encouraged by the "wonderful" staff in Kingman and investigator Cliff Corlett, who was able to get a lot of things corrected.

However, the written directive from the registrar was never completed, and now Reed is in the process of having an administrative hearing, which would take place in Phoenix.

"I guess we'll get to see more of Arizona," she said. "We want to be there in person and it will be a hardship. It's just my concern for other people. There's so much construction going on, it's absolutely necessary to have an office like this to go and resolve things."

Registrar investigators in Maricopa and Pima Counties will use Phoenix and Tucson offices, Knupp said. Prescott and Flagstaff investigators will work out of Flagstaff. Yavapai County investigators will also maintain "virtual office" operations. All other investigators will continue their "virtual office" operation.

The Arizona Legislature established the Registrar of Contractors in 1931. The agency licenses and regulates residential and commercial contractors, and investigates and works to resolve complaints against licensed and unlicensed contractors.

It is funded by 90 percent of contractor license fees. The remaining 10 percent of fees are deposited in the state's general fund.

Click for home delivery with comics, grocery deals, inserts, TV listings, coupons and more