Trusted local news leader for Kingman, Arizona & Mohave County
Sat, Dec. 04

Briefs: Police ID 2 dead in gas line break fire

COOLIDGE - Authorities have identified the man and teenage girl found dead in a Coolidge house fire following a gas pipeline explosion.

Coolidge police said Sunday the two found dead are believed to be Luis Alvarez and his 14-year-old daughter, Valeria Alvarez.

The mother, who they identified as Rosalina Alvarez, was airlifted to Maricopa Medical Center with severe burns to half her body.

According to Pinal County Sheriff's officials, several people reported hearing an explosion near South Highway 87 earlier in the day around 5:45 a.m.

Authorities say they found the family's farm house on fire.

Rosalina Alvarez was discovered after she managed to escape through a window.

Coolidge police say the bodies of the other two were discovered after the fire was put out.

According to officials with El Paso Natural Gas Co., there was a pipeline failure near Coolidge.

They said a reported fire was extinguished and all EPNG employees had been accounted for.

El Paso officials said the company deployed employees to the area and isolated the impacted pipeline segment.

They said the company was coordinating with first responders plus state and federal agencies and “an investigation into the cause of the gas line failure will be conducted.”

Coolidge is located about 60 miles southeast of Phoenix.

Man climbs Phoenix radio tower

PHOENIX - A man who climbed to the top of a Phoenix radio tower came down uninjured after a 2 ½ hour standoff Sunday, authorities said.

The name of the man wasn’t immediately released Sunday.

Phoenix Fire Department officials said the man descended on his own thanks to negotiations by police.

Multiple technical rescue teams, firefighters, paramedics, police officers and special assignment crews worked together to ensure a successful outcome and the safety of everyone involved, authorities said.

The man was assessed medically by fire department personnel once down from the tower. He was then taken under police custody.

Police said when officers initially responded, the man made some statements indicating he wanted to hurt himself.

Donate Report a Typo Contact
Event Calendar
Event Calendar link
Submit Event